Thursday, May 29, 2014

Graffiti Wall

War and Peace

 “Be the peace and love you want to see in the world.” This is the most powerful quote I came across while researching war and peace. War and peace is never an easy topic to talk about. Peace is truly powerful as an individual. As I sit here and think about my views on war and peace, I feel as though I don’t have much of a say in anything as a whole. I do know that I can make the world a better place by my attitude and how I treat people. “Be selective in your battles, sometimes peace is better than being right.” I don’t have to be right all the time; I can be humble and peaceful. When our guest speaker Sean talked to us about his time in the military as a soldier, it made me start to think deeper into peace and war and what I really believe in and hold value to. The part that really hit home to me was when he talked about building schools for kids in Afghanistan and other countries. Out of the kindness of his heart, he went out of his way to do something nice for children that we are fighting war against their country. “They don’t want the war anymore than we do”, Sean stated. This explains why I included a picture of a soldier carrying an innocent kid away to safety. Even though these soldiers are there to fight war, they still promote peace with innocent children and have huge hearts. Sean also talked about how important education is and this has been embedded into my head all of my life. I completely agree with the quote by Nelson Mandela, “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” Last but not least, I included an American flag. I love my country and am extremely blessed with how easy I have it to live here compared to the other countries I have read about in A long Way Gone and Sold. After reading these books I feel like I have taken so much for granite. I didn't realize how spoiled I am to live in America and am blessed beyond words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment