Sunday, April 20, 2014

Crossing the Wire


I could never imagine going through what Victor went through ay any age let alone fifteen years old. I personally have never had to experience providing for my family or starving and dying of thirst. This book really gave me a whole new outlook on life and a new perspective. I am thankful to have been born in the United States and not have to go through all the trouble Victor did just to stay alive. One thing that took me by surprise was how strict border patrol is. I had no idea they had helicopters and night vision goggles and were so uptight on people crossing from Mexico into the United States. When Victor fell off the train and had to go to the hospital, I thought for sure he was going to be sent back to Mexico. It was sad that after all that effort, Miguel was captured by border patrol and had to start all over again. When Victor spotted Rico at the soup kitchen, I couldn’t be more excited for him to have his best friend back in his life and help each other through this hard journey. I had a feeling nobody would be at the brother’s house when they arrived; it just seemed too good to be true. Finally finding work and sending home money to his family had to be the best feeling in the world. This is what he had worked so hard for and suffered to do so. I am worried that the money is not going to get to Victor’s mom in Mexico. I don’t know how wiring money works from country to country, but I have a feeling some people who work at the post office where they wire the money might take advantage of it or somewhere along the way it could get lost. At least when Rico returns home he can let Victor’s mom know he is doing well and sending money in her direction. I hope he continues to keep his job and is able to send money to his family. I hope school turns out good for Rico and his family can survive on what they have there.

I have gotten to know people who are from Mexico and currently have family living in Mexico and heard about their journeys. They come here to make a better life for themselves and be a contributing citizen and yet our government treats them terrible. It is so hard to become a citizen here and I don’t even know most of the answers to the questions they ask when taking your citizenship test and I was born and raised here. To hear their stories about how family members have been deported is heart breaking and how they are handcuffed and legs tied together and treated like animals and dumped off in Mexico. They are treated like animals; it is not ok at all. I think it would change a lot of people’s views and perspectives if they read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment